Paul is an accomplished public speaker, educator and raconteur available for speeches, talks and presentations to guilds, Livery Companies, clubs, societies, academic institutions, professional bodies and commercial organisations on subjects related to the City of London, Livery Companies, the Freedom of the City of London, customs, traditions, heraldry and etiquette at formal events. Paul is equally at home speaking to academic or generalist audiences alike, and he has a lively, confident, humorous and engaging manner.
Paul has over two decades of experience in public speaking and has a visually sumptuous feast of digital presentation materials and ’show and tell’ exhibits to enliven any talk. Paul brings his own laptop and portable HD projector, he is equally at home working with Microsoft PowerPoint, Apple Keynote or Prezi.
His particular areas of expertise include but are not limited to:
- The senior elected members the Court of Common Council (Lord Mayor, Sheriffs, Aldermen)
- The high officers of the City of London Corporation (Town Clerk, Chamberlain, etc)
- The electoral system in the City of London
- The military units associated with the City of London (HAC, Inns of Court, etc)
- Livery Companies in the 21st Century - their role and impact
- Etiquette and formalities of City and Livery dining
- Robes and uniforms of the Lord Mayor, Aldermen, Sheriffs and Livery Company officers
- Heraldry and Regalia of the City of London and Livery Companies
- The Freedom of the City of London, its history and modern relevance
- Some of the more unusual ceremonies, customs and traditions of the Livery Companies
- The process of petitioning for a Grant of Arms
- The provincial guilds in England
Some of the organisations that have previously enjoyed speeches, talks or presentations by Paul include:
- Oxford University Heraldry Society
- Cambridge University Heraldic & Genealogical Society
- The Heraldry Society
- The Oxford and Cambridge Club
- The City of London Tourist Guides Association
- The London Historians Group
- The Guildhall Library
- Cantab Explorer Ltd (Cambridge)
- The Air Training Corps (Air Cadets)
- Deep Dive Education and Development Company Ltd (Cambridge)
- The Edmonton Hundred Society
- The Worshipful Company of Information Technologists
- The City Livery Club
- BCS The Chartered Institute for IT
- Charterhouse (Sutton’s Hospital, London)
- The Worshipful Company of Curriers
- The Worshipful Company of Pattenmakers
- The Honourable Company of Air Pilots
- The Honourable Artillery Company
- The Worshipful Company of Butchers
- The Farringdon Ward Club
- The Burgon Society
- The University of the 3rd Age
Forthcoming talks in the New Year 2017 include:
- A return to The Guildhall Library
- A return to Charterhouse (Sutton’s Hospital, London)
- The Oriental Club (Westminster)
- Harpenden 41 Club
What does it cost?
There is no fee for after dinner speaking at a dinner or banquet when invited to speak as the guest of a Livery Company or Guild.
For talks and presentations to universities, professional bodies, learned societies and commercial organisation his fees range from £200 - £300 for 1-2 hours excluding travel expenses. City of London Livery Companies and other City institutions (Guilds, Ward Clubs, Masonic Lodges, Private Members Clubs in the City) can book at a discounted rate when hosting an event to promote The City of London Freeman’s Guide among their membership.
How do I make a booking enquiry?
Please use the contact form on this website to send an email to Paul, or contact him on Twitter @CityandLivery.